Jamaican Spiced Easter Bread Recipe
Thursday, Apr 4, 2019
Make your way to the kitchen as it's time to impress your friends and family with this delicious Jamaican spiced Easter bread recipe from Couples Resorts' Executive Chef – Stefan Spath.
This tasty and sweeter take on the ever popular hot cross bun will add some Caribbean flair to your Easter celebrations. Now, let's begin making Stefan's special Easter bread recipe!
- 120ml milk
- 1 teaspoon of dry yeast
- 3 oz flour
- 9oz flour
- 5 oz unsalted butter
- 1 ½ sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- A few drops of vanilla
- Rind of 1 lemon or lime
- 1 teaspoon of finely grated fresh ginger
For glaze and topping:
- 1⁄2 cup apricot jam
- 1⁄2 cup sifted icing sugar
- Drop of almond essence
- 1⁄4 cup sliced roasted almonds
- Heat milk until lukewarm, add yeast and combine well, add flour and mix
- Put flour into a large mixing bowl, add yeast / milk mix in the centre
- Cover with a little flour and allow to rest (and rise) for about 30 minutes
- Cream the butter until light and fluffy
- Add all the other above ingredients (including the butter) to the flour / yeast mix and mix well (using a dough hook) – for at least 5 minutes
- 4 1⁄2 oz raisins
- 2 oz mixed peel (finely chopped)
- 3⁄4 oz sliced almonds (roasted)
- 1 teasp finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Add raisins, mixed peel, almonds and thyme to the dough
- Mix in quickly until well combined, cover bowl with plastic and allow dough to proof (and rise) for about 1 hour
- Take dough out of bowl and shape into a round loaf, place on a grease paper lined baking sheet. Allow to rise again (approximately 45 minutes in a warm place)
- Brush with Egg wash (1 whole egg slightly whisked) and bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 50 minutes
- Check with a wooden skewer to ensure the bread is baked properly
- Meanwhile, work on your glaze
- Bring apricot jam to a boil and brush loaf generously with the jam – immediately as you are removing it from the oven
- Mix icing sugar with a drop of almond essence (very little) and some water until you get a glaze-like texture
- Brush onto warm loaf and immediately cover with sliced roasted almonds
Stefan Spath is the Executive Chef at Couples Resorts. He's resided in Jamaica since 1999 and fully embraced the island life and his love for fresh and local Caribbean ingredients is clearly demonstrated in the food he creates.
We hope you love this Jamaican spiced Easter bread recipe as much as all of us here at Couples Resorts!
What is your favourite Easter recipe? Tweet us @CouplesUK and let us know!